Beauty Will Save the World! Summer Camp
For High School Students
July 8-12, 2018
The Summer Camp “Beauty Will Save the World!” is a week-long theology camp that will give high school students the opportunity to spend a week learning about and coming to encounter God through beauty. Students will spend a restful week on the campus of the University of Saint Francis painting an icon of Christ, learning about how God calls each person to an individual vocation, and experiencing the richness of the Catholic Church’s liturgical prayer.
“Beauty Will Save the World!” will broaden and enrich the theological understanding of how beauty reveals God in our world in various ways: the beauty in the arts, including icons and icon-making; the beauty of the earth that God created and our need to be good stewards of it; the beauty of the human mind; and the beauty of various Religious and lay vocations.
During the Summer Camp, high school students who attend will:
- Have sessions with an iconographer and have hands-on experience creating an icon.
- Interact with USF professors and explore readings on the theology of beauty.
- Hear Catholic lay and Religious men and women talk about their vocations.
- Attend workshops that explore Lectio Divina, the Jesus Prayer, Sacred Meditation and Discernment.
- Experience living in a college dorm, as well as recreational events that include canoe rides, campfires, and an evening of live music, refreshments, and entertainment in the USF Student Center.
The Summer Theology Camp is made possible through a Lilly Endowment Theology Institute for High School Youth grant. The Summer Camp fee is $99 and includes room and board, instruction, art supplies and transportation.
How to Register
To participate in the camp and complete registration, the following forms must be received.
- Registration Form (found in the Registration Packet)
- Release of Liability Agreement (found in the Registration Packet)
- Medical Information and Release Form (found in the Registration Packet)
- $99 check payable to University of Saint Francis, with “Theology Summer Camp – [Camper’s Name]” notated in the memo line
- You can also pay by credit card. Please include the information on the registration form.
Your completed forms and payment may be mailed to:
Dr. Adam DeVille
University of Saint Francis
2701 Spring Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46808
What exactly is an icon and why are they so important?
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states, beginning at paragraph 1161, that:
“Christian iconography expresses in images the same Gospel message that Scripture communicates by words. Image and word illuminate each other:
Following the divinely inspired teaching of our holy Fathers and the tradition of the Catholic Church (for we know that this tradition comes from the Holy Spirit who dwells in her) we rightly define with full certainty and correctness that, like the figure of the precious and life-giving cross, venerable and holy images of our Lord and God and Savior, Jesus Christ, our inviolate Lady, the holy Mother of God, and the venerated angels, all the saints and the just, whether painted or made of mosaic or another suitable material, are to be exhibited in the holy churches of God, on sacred vessels and vestments, walls and panels, in houses and on streets.
“The beauty of the images moves me to contemplation, as a meadow delights the eyes and subtly infuses the soul with the glory of God.” Similarly, the contemplation of sacred icons, united with meditation on the Word of God and the singing of liturgical hymns, enters into the harmony of the signs of celebration so that the mystery celebrated is imprinted in the heart’s memory and is then expressed in the new life of the faithful.”
Icons, in short, are visual representations of Christ, the angels, and the saints, which aid the prayer of the viewer.
What are the ages of the participants?
- The camp is for high school students, whether they are just entering high school, in the middle of high school, or are just graduating from high school.
What are the departure and arrival times?
- Check-in time is 11:00 am – 12:45 pm on Sunday. Check-out time is after 2:30 pm on Thursday.
Will the students be chaperoned during the week?
- Yes. Students will be closely chaperoned throughout the week. Not only will they be in contact with adult leaders all throughout the day, but Peer Ministers from the University’s Campus Ministry will be chaperones in the dormitory buildings at night.
What is included in the registration fee?
- The registration fee covers all meals for the week from Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon, all the materials for painting an icon and other activities, housing, a t-shirt, a book, and more!
Is the registration fee refundable?
- Registration fees are refundable in full up to a week before the start of the program, on July 1st. Please contact us by email to request a refund and cancellation.
Is there financial assistance?
- At this time, due to the already steeply reduced price of $99, financial assistance is not available.
Are there any incentives for signing up together?
- Students who sign up together will be able to choose their roommate for the week.
Please note: Schedule may be subject to change.
SUNDAY, JULY 8
|11:00-12:45 p.m.||Registration, move into residence halls|
|1:00 p.m.||Opening Mass|
|2:30-3:30 p.m.||Explanation of the week; Introduction of participants|
|3:30-5:30 p.m.||Introduction to/preparation for Icon workshops|
|6:30-8:00 p.m.||Iconography workshop II|
|8:00-10:00 p.m.||Evening prayer, campfire, and fellowship.|
MONDAY, JULY 9
|8:15 a.m.||Morning prayer|
|9:00-10:30 a.m.||Iconography workshop III|
|10:30-11:00 a.m.||Snack Break|
|11:00-12:00 p.m.||Discussion on theology of beauty I|
|12:15-12:30 p.m.||Midday prayer|
|1:00-2:00 p.m.||Tour USF Icon collection|
|2:00-4:00 p.m.||Canoeing on Mirror Lake then break|
|4:00-5:00 p.m.||Iconography workshop IV|
|5:00-5:30 p.m.||Evening Prayer|
|6:30-7:30 p.m.||Discussion on theology of beauty II|
|7:30-10:00 p.m.||Movie and snacks|
TUESDAY, JULY 10
|8:15 a.m.||Morning prayer|
|9:00-10:30 a.m.||Discussion on theology of beauty III|
|10:30-1:00 p.m.||Faculty discussion and lunch|
|1:00-3:00 p.m.||Iconography workshop V|
|3:00-5:00 p.m.||Outdoor activity and break|
|6:00-7:30 p.m.||Workshop on praying with icons and evening prayer|
WEDNESDAY, JULY 11
|8:15 a.m.||Morning Prayer|
|9:00-11:30 a.m.||Iconography workshop VI|
|11:30-12:00 p.m.||Midday prayer|
|1:00-2:30 p.m.||Iconography workshop VII|
|2:45-4:15 p.m.||Stump the Profs: THEO-PHIL Roundtable|
|4:30-6:00 p.m.||Iconography workshop VIII|
|6:00-8:00 p.m.||BBQ with Faculty|
|8:00-8:300 p.m.||Evening prayer|
|8:30-10:00 p.m.||Campfire, snacks, fellowship|
THURSDAY, JULY 12
|8:15 a.m.||Morning prayer|
|9:00-11:30 a.m.||Roundtable on vocations|
|11:30-12:30 p.m.||Closing Mass and Blessing of Icons|
|2:00-2:30 p.m.||Pack and depart|