In alignment with the Catholic and Franciscan character of the University of Saint Francis, the Department of Philosophy and Theology exists to help you integrate faith and reason in service to the church and world. All full-time faculty members are Catholic and each holds a mandatum from the local bishop, which is a commitment to teach in full communion with the Catholic Church.
The Department of Philosophy and Theology offers majors in Philosophy, Theology and Ministry; minors in Catholic Studies, Theology, Philosophy and Franciscan Studies; and a Master of Arts in Theology program.
Theology courses will introduce you to:
- The Catholic theological traditions of both the East and West
- The relation of faith and reason
- The search for unity between Christians
- Interfaith dialogues
- The pursuit of virtue and a better world
Philosophy courses will introduce you to:
- The nature of philosophical reasoning, including logic
- The history of philosophy
- The ways of ethical reasoning
With a degree in Philosophy, Theology or Ministry, you can go on to pursue advanced study in law, politics and other disciplines. You will also be prepared for employment in schools, parishes, dioceses, hospitals and other institutions, where you will be able to serve the church and world.